Friday, July 12, 2013

Caramelized Chicken Thighs

So you now how I mentioned that I've been trying some out new recipes? They're not always hits with everyone, but this week I happened upon a real winner.

Little man is a somewhat picky eater, but one thing that I never have to worry about him eating well is chicken.  So I am always on the lookout for fun, new ways to prepare chicken - so I know he'll eat it, but the rest of us won't get bored with it.

This week I found a simple looking recipe for caramelized chicken thighs and just had to try it.

I made a couple of substitutions - the recipe calls for sugar and I used brown sugar, I used dark soy sauce where the recipe doesn't specify which variety to use, and, with little man's peanut allergy, I replaced the peanut butter called for in the recipe with Sunbutter.

I didn't take photos of the process because... well... honestly, because I wasn't thinking about it - I just put dinner together pretty quickly that night so that the kids could keep on playing.

But when these came out of the oven...


I knew that they would be good, so I took a couple of quick pictures so that I could share with you.

The skin was crispy and caramelized, the flavor was delicious, and the meat was cooked perfectly.


We served this over brown rice, spooning the cooking liquid over the rice as a sauce, and it was absolutely delicious.

Little man ate his whole piece and half of daddy's, too. I'd call that a hit!


Caramelized Chicken Thighs
(only slightly adapted from allthecooks.com)

3 pounds of chicken thighs
1 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce (I used dark)
2 tablespoon Sunbutter
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a medium saucepan, mix together water, brown sugar, soy sauce, Sunbutter, honey, garlic powder and vinegar. Heat over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Allow to cool a little bit.
Place chicken thighs in a deep baking dish.
Pour soy sauce mixture over chicken and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes. Turn the temperature of the oven down to 350 after basting the first time.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails